Houston County schools are seeking high-quality substitute teachers. The Human Resources Department will accept applications beginning the afternoon of Sept. 8 through Sept. 15, 2016.
To qualify, candidates must meet the following educational and certification requirements.
1. Education - either an associate’s degree or higher from an accredited college, two years of college coursework of at least 60 semester hours, or pass a paraprofessional assessment approved by the Professional Standards Commission; and
2. Certification - a teaching certificate (current, out of state or expired), certificate of eligibility, or an official substitute teaching certificate from any county in Georgia.
The pay rate for those with a bachelor’s degree or higher is $9.62 per hour; for those with less than four years of college, the pay is $8.79 per hour. The daily pay is for a maximum of 7.5 hours. Lesson plans are provided by the teacher. Substitutes report to work a half-hour before school begins and remain a half-hour after school. School times are:
· Primary and elementary school – 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.;
Middle school – 7:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.;
· High school – 7:45 to 2:45 p.m.;
· Houston County Career Academy - 7:45 a.m. to 2:25 p.m.;
· Houston County Crossroads Center: 8:00 a.m. to 2:40 p.m.; and
· Edge Academy - 8:05 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Required documents such as transcripts and certificates must be uploaded to the application to verify qualification requirements. Once selected, substitute candidates will be notified via email as to the next steps in the hiring process.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online. Applications are submitted through the Employment webpage. The job vacancy posting for substitute teacher will be available after 4:00 p.m. on Sept. 8. Applicants must submit an application specifically for the substitute teacher job posting to be considered for hire.
The district holds three recruiting drives a year for substitute teachers. For more information, please contact Pam Sharp, Human Resources Absence Management Secretary, at Pam.Sharp@hcbe.net or 478-988-6138.